Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunbathing

I suspect that when God had finished making the Canary Islands his project manager turned to him and said “God!, that's a bit of a mess – you'd better make sure you give them some good weather”. I know there are a few nice places in the Canaries but their Ports were chosen for deep water and flat land to stack things on rather than their picturesque beauty. Inevitably new towns then developed on the pieces of land that the city founders had wisely left between their “Old Towns” and their ports. Spanish seaside development is the reason why terminators will one day be sent back in time to kill the inventor of reinforced concrete.

The weather for the last couple of days has been glorious. In the sun, the sea fronts of Tenerife and Gran Canaria actually looked OK when viewed through the sparkling, salt encrusted, glass of our balcony. Apart from walks round the towns I've spent my time sun bathing and I've even had my swimming trunks on. It's so nice to get away from the UK's weather that it's made me wonder if the Canary Islanders get fed up of their endless sunshine. Maybe Blackpool should abandon its attempts to lure holidaymakers from Britain and target its advertising at the Canaries. Apart from the weather it would almost be a home from home. Seaside food these days is international and Blackpool’s got lots of tasteless lager and bad architecture. In both Blackpool and the Canaries, if you dig a hole on the beach you soon get down to a layer of nasty black stuff. “ Chill for a week in Blackpool and enjoy the drizzle” - It might just work.

Dave


1 comment:

  1. Actuallly as it is so miserable here I would not be bothered what I looked at whilst I was on a lovely beach sunbathing !
    Have a fab New Year's Eve celebration.
    Love from Julie Dave and H xx

    ReplyDelete